Treating and Preventing Dog Paw Injuries in the Summer Heat
- limping or refusing to walk
- licking or chewing at the feet
- pads darker in color
- missing part of pad
- blisters or redness
Preventing Dog Paw Injuries
Here are six tips for preventing dog paw injuries:
1.Consider getting dog cooling boots, which will prevent your dog from burning their pads.
2. Be mindful of hot surfaces and walk your dog on grass or on the shady side of the street on hot days.
3. Don't walk your dog in the middle of the day on hot days. Walk your dog early in the morning or in the evening.
4. Stay on the grass if possible. It's cooler than pavement.
5. Help your dog develop calluses on their paws by walking them on the pavement when it's cool out.
6. Moisturize your dog's pads using something like Musher's Secret. This will prevent cracking, peeling and minor cuts.