How Can I Stop My Dog From Licking His Wound?
Your dog's natural tendency is to lick the wound.
However, the licking will delay the wound's healing process. There are several products that were created to protect the wound, the wound's location determines which product is right for your dog's needs.
Licking the wound, can cause the following things:
- If a dog licks the incision, the healing process may be delayed.
- Licking can remove stitches and cause the incision to open
- Licking can become a severe habit that is difficult to break
- Licking can cause infection as the mouth has bacteria
- Dogs will frequently lick the incision when the owner is not watching such as at night time; if the skin looks red or excoriated the most common cause is from licking.
- Elizabethan collar (comfy cone- a softer solution than the plastic cone) can be placed on the neck; this will not help stop your pet from scratching at the region and will protect the whole body. http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/comfycollar.html
- Cervical soft collar (kong air collar) is a less awkward device and can be effective at stopping a pet from licking the surgical site http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/kong-air-collar.html
- Tulanes Closet Onesie -a soft cotton cover-up with a easy to snap on and off fitting, covers the whole body. It was invented by a vet-tech as a post surgery garment and is particularly useful after spaying or neutering. http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/onesie-dog-coat.html
- A bandage or protective garment can be used to cover an incision on a limb or to hold it solid so it can heal. http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/paw-leg-protection.html
- For Paw injuries, Try the healer dog wrap or two wound boots (Ultra Paws or Healer Wound Boots) http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/dog-paw-wound-boot.html
- Bitter apple can be applied around the incision or on top of the bandage. Anti-lick strips also helps http://www.keepdoggiesafe.com/dog-bitter-apple-spray.html
If your dog won't stop the obsessive licking, consult your vet. They might need Anti-psychotic medication or other remedies. Send us a live chat and tell us about your needs and we will help guide you through the products so you find the right one for your dog.
We hope your best pal gets better soon !
KeepDoggieSafe awarded the Google Trusted Stores Badge
KeepDoggieSafe which offers dog safety products and the exclusive WagSafely brand was recently selected to join the G...
How to Insure Your Dog Product is Safe
Got a Great Deal on your Dog leash? Is your dog's collar or harness is made well? Save Money on your Dog Coupler? Did...
How to Bathe Your Dog's Paws
Dog paws collect all of the toxins from the grass or sidewalks such as: pesticides, herbicides, ragweed, grasses, po...