Tips for Buying a Lighted Dog Leash
The lighted dog leash is the most important dog safety product. It literally saved our lives and every day we hear another story from a customer about how it saved them on a walk.
In 90% of accidents at dusk & dawn, the driver reports " I didn't see them"
In our case, we were walking around a corner and the car screeched to a halt right in front of us and the driver stated that they would have hit us if they didn't see the leash. That was it. It was a true Oprah moment- we vowed to start a business and sell this great product. We even created our name and logo around this product.
The most important feature of the lighted dog leash is that it forms a visible line from you to the dog so you are very visible. Most leashes using a flashing technology because the flash creates more visibility -the flash is more visible to drivers.
Most lights don't go all of the way to the end of the leash for several reasons. First, the power needed for the longer strip of lights exceeds the amount of juice created by most batteries. Second, when the lights go all of the way down it puts them near the dog's collar and D-ring, the pulling motion on the leash disables the circuitry. Lastly, it creates an additional cost and most people feel most comfortable spending about $20-25 for a lighted leash.
- If your dog is a major puller, then get the reflective, glow leash, there are no circuits that can break.
- The LED lighted leashes are visible for 1/2 mile, Glow leashes are visible for 1/4 mile.
- All our lighted leashes have three modes - ALWAYS-ON & Blink & ON|OFF mode!
- To conserve batteries, use the flash mode. It's also more visible
- The easiest leashes for changing batteries is the dog-eglow leash.
- Rechargeable leashes are great for saving money on batteries but you need a computer to charge it effectively
- You can walk two dogs with one lighted dog leash, just add a dog coupler to the bottom of the leash.
- If you have a small dog, Nitebeams makes a small|medium lighted leash that is a great option and not as heavy on your pup.
- We also recommend you are visible too. Check out our reflective walking vests,LED armbands, shoe lights or slaplit for you to add to the visibility.
Most leashes have matching lighted dog collars, so your dog is also protected when not on a leash. A lighted leash typically lasts six months to two years, depending upon these factors:
Your dog's personality -pullers, biters,leash shakers, chewers, etc
How it is stored (no garages, keep it out of rain-cold & water are bad for electronics)
Usage-did it drop, do you take it everywhere, does it sit in the sunlight, etc
At Keep Doggie Safe, we warranty the leash for 30 days to match the manufacturer's warranty. We have been selling these leashes for over 7 years and have found if the leash is defective, it typically breaks within a month, and we will cheerfully replace it.
Once you walk with a lighted leash, you won't want to go out at dawn or dusk without it. It's similar to driving a car with seat belts, it becomes a valuable habit that could save you and your dog. Be Safe. Be Seen. Love Your Dog.